
I had these white spots on my fingernails ever since when I can remember. My grandmother used to tell me that I have these white spots because I need more calcium or vitamins. I always thought she said that to make me eat more vegetables and stuff, but I was always curious what really cause them. Hopefully there will be a solution and I will be able to do something about it.
What cause the white spots on fingernails?
There is actually a name for the white spots on fingernails; they are called leukonychia. According to WebMD, there are many possible reasons for the white spots to appear. In most cases, these are caused by minor injuries like hit or blow on the nail bed. Because nails take a long time to grow, by the time white spots appear on the nail, it is the result of an injury from 4 months ago.
Another common possible cause is due to allergic reactions from using commercial nail enamels, nail hardener, or artificial nails. These products can cause nail fragility. White spots can also be caused by fungal or bacterial infection from poor hygiene. These types of white spots are harmless and will grow out in time.
The common myth about these white spots is that they are caused by calcium, zinc, or protein deficiency. Although these deficiencies do cause white spots on fingernails, in theses case, other symptoms of deficiency would be more apparent on skin before nails, and most likely the total white-out of nails occurs rather than some white spots.

What is causing the white spots on MY fingernail?
It’s still a mystery… I know it’s not because of nail enamels because I put pedicure but I don’t have white spots on my toes, and I don’t use manicure on my fingers. Since I don’t have any skin problems, it’s not something I would have to worry. I suppose it’s mostly because of minor traumas to my fingers. It said that white spots are more common among women, so I guess women’s fingernails are more fragile and sensitive to minor injuries. At least, now I know it was not really because of my diet.
*For more information about nails, go to AAD and eSsortment. There about interesting information about nails functions and more!
*The pictures are taken from http://www.straightdope.com/art/1990/900928.gif and http://www.macbus.org/Reviews/review_images/Will_Montgomery/Fingernails.gif
No comments:
Post a Comment